It's More Than Just Athletics
Our philosophy at Tyler ISD is that we believe that the athletic program contributes significantly to preparing our students for becoming productive, contributing citizens of our community and society.
A comprehensive program of athletic activities expresses our commitment to ensuring the development of physical fitness and personal health, the acquisition of competent performances, and the achievement of excellence in the student’s chosen sports. In addition, we aim to develop a student with an improved self-image, the ability to learn a new skill, and an intrinsic motivation for growth and development.
We want to see a student who will demonstrate a willingness to accept responsibility for his/her actions, measure him/herself against standards of quality, express ideas and solutions to problems, and value fair play, honesty, and cooperation.
Tyler ISD's Vision
Tyler ISD will focus on successful student outcomes.
Athletics Vision and Mission
Provide leadership to our student-athletes to help them develop personally, academically, and athletically. The mission of the Athletic Department is to support the overall vision of Tyler ISD while providing quality athletic participation opportunities for students.
Provide opportunities for all students to participate in the sports of their choice. Athletes are strongly encouraged to participate in as many sports as possible.
- To develop and maintain the highest level of sportsmanship.
- To develop proper attitudes toward winning and losing, success and failure.
- To encourage and develop respect for fellow athletes, whether they are teammates, members of other Tyler ISD teams, or members of opposing teams.
- Ensure that the amount of time required for athletic participation does not interfere with academic success.
- To develop proper attitudes toward individual health habits, appearance in and out of competition, and citizenship in and out of school.
- To encourage competition not only for tangible rewards but also for the development of positive attitudes that makes athletic competition valuable and worthwhile.
- To maintain the highest standard of ethics, recognize each participant as an individual who will conduct him/herself in a manner befitting his/her responsibilities, and develop the kind of rapport with the broader school community that will improve the total educational program.